I see a lot of articles about diet, low GI, Paleo, ketogenic, etc. but the one thing these diets fail to address is balancing dietary acids. The human body naturally is supposed to be in a alkaline environment which sets up the body to have optimal pH levels. If your body is more acidic then it can and will lead to a series of health problems. You want to have a alkaline body balance. But first I want to list a series of health problems that occur when your body is in a state of chronically high acidity (low grade metabolic acidosis).
Health Problems from Metabolic Acidosis
- Higher risk for cancer- when your body is acidic then cells become less oxygen rich. Cancer can only survive in a low oxygen environment.
- Bone loss- the body will try to maintain certain pH levels when it becomes acidic. The way the body does this is by taking away calcium from your body. The largest deposits is your bones which in turn leads to weaker bones and a loss in bone density.
- Glutamine loss-Glutamine is another thing that helps keep pH levels in balance in a state of metabolic acidosis. Losing glutamine can mean losing muscle mass and increased risk of respiratory infections.
- Decrease in Growth Hormone and IGF-1
- mild hypothroidism
Alkaline Body Balance Benefits
- Chances of getting cancer are almost next to nothing-On a pH scale a human body should have a range of 7.4 to 7.6. the higher the pH the higher the alkalinity. It is impossible for cancer to survive if the pH is 8.5 and above. Cancer cells will be dormant when the pH level is 7.4. Having a pH on the higher side will develop alkaline tissue and that will cause more oxygenated cells. Cancer cannot survive in a oxygenated environment.
- makes the body more efficient at discarding toxins
- increased energy levels
- prevent muscle mass loss
- prevent colds and the flu
- protect bones from osteoporosis
Tips to Keep It Alkaline
- Fruits and Vegetables- yup I know, big surprise! Fruits and vegetables are highly alkalizing. Remember that it is not the pH level of the food but the alkalizing effect it has on the body.
- Foods to avoid-dairy, white flour, white sugar, have a high acidic reactions on the body
- Meats- meats definitely have a acidic reaction but raw meats lean more to the alkaline side such as raw beef and fish. Sushi time!
- What to do if you eat a highly acidic meal- If you eat a highly acidic meal don’t trip! You can add small amounts of glutamine or baking soda 2-5g or even Alka-Seltzer which are all alkalizing.
- Keep cognizant of pH when preparing meals- Remember when preparing meals try to always add alkalizing foods to neutralize acids.
- pH water
- get a greens supplement
- Do not over cook vegetables-it will destroy nutrients that are vital in neutralizing acids.
Alright keep it alkaline!